Freda Rhodes (Part 2)

Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. 

Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. Background info about Freda Rhodes and museum here. 

 
Bedfords.png
Fingerpost.png
 

Bedfords. The last owner of Bedfords, Lieutenant - Colonel H.J. Stone died in 1932. The house was let to tenants at this time. In 1929 the tenant was a Captain Michael Falcon

Fingerpost at Chase Cross pointing to Havering. The notice attached to the tree is interesting “This house and land for sale. Apply owner ‘Bedfords’, Havering-atte-Bower”.

Dame Tipping School.png
 

Dame Tipping School

Post Office 1.png

This post office lasted until around 1928 when Mr Mason’s shop became the post office too. The images show the original glass plate photograph and a copy of a postcard produced from it

Post Office 2.png
 
St Johns Interior.png
The Dell.png
 
 

St John The Evangelist, interior view

This postcard from George Mason’s series shows Dell Cottages, Fairlight in the background and Knightbridge’s slaughter house on the right

 
Liberty Cottages.png

Liberty Cottages were built on behalf of Romford Rural District Council and were formally opened on Saturday 20th October 1920 by Lady O'Hagan.

The 16 houses were built by Robert Young Construction Company. The houses were initially expected to cost around £800 each but with material and labour charge increases, each house cost around £900. 


"In fixing the rents, due regard had been given to what the class of tenant is able to pay". The first rents were 10 shillings per week inclusive for the three bedroom houses and 11 shillings and 6 pence per week for the four bedroom houses. 

 

Children at the school were invited to enter a competition to name the houses. 111 children entered the competition and the winning name Liberty Cottages was Mary Knightbridge who was rewarded with a 10 shilling prize.

The Green.png
Havering Park.png
 

The Green

The collection includes postcards produced from the originals such as this view of Havering Park

The Stocks .png
 

Another postcard in the series, this time showing the stocks, whipping post and the giant Elm tree.